Changing the Domicile of an Incapacitated Person

When a person is incapacitated, may a court-appointed guardian change the residency and domicile location for the incapacitated from one jurisdiction to another?  This precise issue has been discussed in New Jersey in the case of Matter of Marguerite Seyse, 353 N.J. Super 580 (App.Div. 2002).  In that family squabble, two sisters were appointed co-guardians for their incapacitated mother.  The two sisters hated each other and agreed on very little with respect to their mother's guardianship, which had been established in New Jersey.  One night, without court approval, or even knowledge of the other sister, the incapacitated mother was moved from New Jersey to a home in Connecticut.  The court, after a hearing, found that the move to Connecticut was actually in the best interests of the mother.  It dissolved the co-guardianship and made the Connecticut sister the sole guardian of her mother while leaving the New Jersey sister as guardian of her mother's property.  After the mother died, a contest ensued to determine whether New Jersey or Connecticut was the appropriate domicile for the deceased.  The probate court found that the guardian had the ability to choose the domicile of her incapacitated mother and therefore Connecticut was chosen as the proper forum for the probate of the mother's estate.

Trackbacks (0) Links to blogs that reference this article Trackback URL
Comments (0) Read through and enter the discussion with the form at the end
Post A Comment / Question Use this form to add a comment to this entry.

Remember personal info?
Send To A Friend Use this form to send this entry to a friend via email.